With so much happening across the Easter break in Newcastle and Gateshead – and as the sun is currently shining, Mag North couldn’t resist dropping in on our Tyneside chums, to find out about some of the highlights.
1) OMG!! You can join an Easter Dance Camp: From 19 to 22 April Newcastle’s Dance City is offering youngsters aged 5 to 14 the chance to learn everything from contemporary, street and break moves, to Bollywood and musical theatre dance. www.dancecity.co.uk.
2) We can BLAST OFF!! Take a journey into space: Find out how we’re already using space technology in our everyday lives and discover how the future of space exploration is being shaped right here in the North East of England, in Life Science Centre’s Space Zone. www.life.org.uk.
3) Gophers on Sofas!! Meet Frog and Friends: Tickets are flying out of the door for Northern Stage’s performance of Oi Frog & Friends, based on the bestselling books by Kes Gray and Jim Field www.northernstage.co.uk.
4) Venus Vitrix!! Meet the Romans: Newcastle’s Great North Museum: Hancock will transform into a Roman festival on 13 April, with the chance to taste Roman foods, hear Roman music, meet real life Roman people and take part in Roman crafts. Get your togas ready! www.greatnorthmuseum.org.uk.
5) Hop Along!! Discover a story: From Wednesday 13 April, Discovery Museum is inviting children aged three to five and their grown-ups to come and read the story Mr Bunny’s Chocolate Factory and get creative with a selection of bunny and chick-themed crafts. www.discoverymuseum.org.uk.
6) Have an ART ATTACK!! Immerse yourself in colour: Step into an extraordinary colourful world at BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art with an exciting exhibition by artist Ad Minoliti. With colours this bright, you might just need shades! www.baltic.art
7) Glue Sticks at the Ready!! Make springtime crafts: In Gateshead the Shipley Art Gallery’s Family Arts Festival will involve hands-on making activities for children aged four and over, all inspired by springtime. www.shipleyartgallery.co.uk.
8) Teach us Something Cool!! Explore art education: Newcastle University’s Hatton Gallery is hosting an interactive exhibition of contemporary art exploring art education movements from around the world. www.hattongallery.org.uk.
9) Get it in Writing!! Pursue your writing dreams: Always wanted to write a children's book? On 14 April author Richard O’Neill will hold a fun, interactive workshop at Seven Stories, suitable for aspiring writers of all ages. www.sevenstories.org.uk.
10) 4 Seasons in One Day!! Experience Vivaldi’s Four Seasons live: Royal Northern Sinfonia will perform Vivaldi’s Four Seasons at Sage Gateshead on Friday 22 April; experience the birdsong of Spring, the downpours of Summer, the celebrations of Autumn or the icy shiver of Winter. www.sagegateshead.com.
Newcastle Gateshead Cultural Venues (NGCV) is a partnership of 10 organisations including Tyne &Wear Archives & Museums, Life Science Centre, Sage Gateshead and BALTIC Centre forContemporary Art.
Explore what’s on at all the venues via www.makeyourmoment.org.uk.
'Life Center' Image by Andrew Curtis
'Northern Stage' image by Ultra7'